Mexico Travel Guide

Passport Requirements


Special allowances and requirements for minors:

  • U.S. children under age 19 arriving by land and traveling with a religious group can present the following instead of a passport: original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card. The trip leader needs to have a list of the children printed on IPC letterhead.

  • Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry a notarized Consent to Travel form from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. The child must be carrying the original letter — not a copy — as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document), and an original custody decree, if applicable.

Required Documents for Minors

The following is a matrix of required documents for minors traveling to Mexico. Forms may be returned to the trip leader.

Situation Form Requirements
Child has passport and is with a parent
  • Passport
  • Child under age 19 has passport but is not with a parent
  • Consent to Travel Letter (must be notarized)
  • SG Medical Release Form
  • Passport
  • Child under age 19 without a passport and with a parent
  • Birth certificate
    (include on Minor Trip Roster)
  • Child under age 19 without a passport or a parent
  • Consent to Travel Letter (must be notarized)
  • Birth certificate
  • SG Medical Release Form
    (include on Minor Trip Roster)


    For more information in getting involved with IPC missions in Mexico, contact Laura Boyd or Karen Francis.

    Back to Global Missions: Mexico


    Customs and Border Patrol Wait Times

    Visit this site for see wait times at Otay Mesa and Tecate:

    Mexico Auto Insurance

    Be sure to purchase Mexican auto insurance. Here is a suggested link for insurance:

    Print out the policy and keep it in your glove compartment. Insurance can also be purchased through AAA or on the U.S. side of the border just prior to crossing.

    What to Bring

    What to pack, what to wear, and more